Status members: Upgrade your experience
If space is available, AAdvantage® status members will automatically receive a complimentary upgrade:
- From any eligible purchased, published fare in the Main Cabin or Premium Economy to the next class of service (Business or domestic First)
- For travel within North America
- On eligible American Airlines operated and marketed flights
- With 1 companion on the same flight
Plus, now all AAdvantage® status members can upgrade on AAdvantage® award tickets.
If possible, upgrades will be confirmed before departure based on status.
Upgrades on American
After you book your flight, you can view your reservation from 'Manage trips' to check the status of your upgrade.
|On American||AAdvantage Executive Platinum®||AAdvantage Platinum Pro®||AAdvantage Platinum®||AAdvantage Gold®|
|Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades (including award tickets)||available||available||available||available|
|Complimentary upgrade for 1 companion traveling with you on the same flight*||available||available||available||available|
|Upgrades confirmed before departure
(as early as)
|100 hours||72 hours||48 hours||24 hours|
Upgrades on American are valid on American marketed and operated flights, within and between the U.S. (including Hawaii) and between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Bahamas, the Caribbean, Bermuda and Central America (based on availability). Upgrades are valid from the Main Cabin to the next class of service.
*Your travel companion can be booked in the same reservation or in a different reservation when traveling on American Airlines marketed and operated flights. If your companion is booked in a different reservation, call American Airlines reservations to link the two reservations.
- If your companion is booked in a different reservation, call Reservations to link the reservations
- If seats are available, you will be upgraded at the same time
You're prioritized together on the airport priority list based on the member with the higher status or 12-month rolling Loyalty Point value.
Call Reservations to request an upgrade if:
- There are more than two passengers in your reservation
- You're traveling with an infant in lap or 10 or more passengers in your reservation
If your upgrade is confirmed, we'll send an email to the address in your AAdvantage® profile to let you know you've been upgraded.
If you're not upgraded right away, we'll keep checking for upgrade availability – up to 3 hours before your flight.
As soon as your upgrade window opens, we'll attempt to confirm in this order:
- AAdvantage® status level (ConciergeKey® members are first, followed by AAdvantage Executive Platinum®, AAdvantage Platinum Pro®, AAdvantage Platinum® and then AAdvantage Gold® members)
- Upgrades on purchased tickets first, followed by upgrades on award tickets
- 12-month rolling Loyalty Points
If the upgrade type and 12-month rolling Loyalty Points value are the same we’ll look at the booking code then date/time of the request to determine prioritization.
Upgrade not confirmed at check-in?
You'll automatically be added to the airport upgrade standby list when you check in with American. Your priority at the airport is based on:
- Status level (ConciergeKey® members are first, followed by AAdvantage Executive Platinum®, AAdvantage Platinum Pro®, AAdvantage Platinum® and then AAdvantage Gold® members)
- Upgrade type in this order: (1 - Systemwide and mileage award upgrades*, 2 - Complimentary upgrades)
- 12-month rolling Loyalty Points
If the upgrade type and 12-month rolling Loyalty Point value are the same we’ll look at the booking code then date/time of the request to determine prioritization.
*Systemwide and mileage award upgrade requests will be processed independently of complimentary status upgrades prior to arriving at the airport.
Checking in with another airline? If your first flight is on another airline, you won't automatically be added to the standby list. You'll need to see an American agent to be added to the list.
Upgrades on Alaska Airlines
AAdvantage® status members receive complimentary upgrades on Alaska Airlines.